Makes 4 servings
- 3 large limes
- 1 ½# halibut, cut into 1 ½-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-¾ inch dice
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 ½ tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- Finely grate enough peel from 2 limes to measure 1 ½ teaspoons. Squeeze enough juice from 2 limes to measure 2 tablespoons. Cut third lime into wedges.
- Rub lime zest all over halibut pieces; cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge while you get the dish started.
- Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped shallots, diced red bell pepper, and minced ginger; saute until shallots are tender and peppers soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, 1 ½ teaspoons lime peel, and 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- Simmer gently, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to curry sauce. Return to very gentle simmer and cook just until fish is opaque in center, 5-6 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently stir in cilantro and basil; serve with lime wedges and plenty of jasmine rice.